Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ah, Books

So, I think I'm a book hussy. Whenever I finish a book quickly, which is fairly often, I feel parched and desperate for more until I find another book to dive into. The problem is that when this happens, I usually scoop up way too many books and I usually end up starting five books all at once because of my over zealousness for reading. I end up like a kid cowering behind the couch with the cookie jar and all the cookies with a bite out of them.

I love reading. I wish I had more time in each day to spend 2-3 hours reading. Sadly, it is more like an hour every day or two. I went to the library last night to get some more books while I wait for the books I really want to read to come in. I scooped up Francine Rivers' "Unveiled" on the life of Tamar, one of the five women in the lineage of Christ. It's a novella, so I'm thinking it will fly by quickly.

I have recently taken up a new interest in the lineage of Jesus Christ. Because I consider him my Savior and Purpose in life, I am excited to have found a new passion to learn about his lineage. I believe it stems from a few months back when I was reading the first chapter of Matthew from the King James Bible to my Grandma–no easy task. Underneath all the thee's and thou's I noticed that the lineage of Christ, first, includes five unlikely women–I say unlikely because they are just so normal, not royal or divine on their own accord–and, second, ends with Joseph. Joseph, as in Mary and Joseph. This I found fascinating considering there is no actual blood of Joseph in Christ, since Jesus was born through immaculate conception. I know that in Bible times and throughout history it is consistently the man that carries the lineage onto the next generation. It's just something that had never occurred to me.

Granted, this doesn't alter the story in any way, but it sure makes me awfully curious about the lineage of Mary.

Well, that's all the randomness for now. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment