Monday, December 5, 2011

Mommy Blog - Let's call this... day 24

Alright. Epic fail on updating the blog right away after returning home. It's been a little busy adjusting, but I suppose that goes without saying.

I've been a momma for 24 days now. That's amazing to me, because it's already flying by so fast. This whole life-change business is quite an ordeal. I'm certain I've never seen my home so messy, but I've probably also never cared less. It seems so simple, you know? Lamaya needs to eat, we feed her. Lamaya needs a diaper change, we change her. Lamaya need to burp, we burp her. Lamaya needs to fall aslep, she falls asleep. So, then, why does it seem to turn our world upside down? Because it really isn't that easy.

I'm learning more and more about the tricks of trying to get Lamaya to fall asleep, to eat all of her bottle, to stay awake more during the day. She has been pretty easy on us as newbies. She has allowed us to experience victories, which seem small in the scope of, oh say life, but they are huge to us. Getting up before 8 am, getting dressed and getting makeup on my face this morning was a serious accomplishment. I felt proud walking out the door this morning feeling like only good things could happen today because, by golly, I have clean clothes on, hair done and makeup on. I'm learning to celebrate these mini-victories, because the big ones I keep saying I "have to get done" that continue to be undone can really get me down. I really need to fix the Christmas lights on our outside post. Half of them are not lit up. I have to balance our budget from last month. It's making this month an impossibility to balance. I have to vacuum and dust downstairs because we will soon be living in the Munsters house if I don't. I have to help my mom finish up the third floor project we started months ago. I have to finish the laundry.

And, the best answer I can say to all these things is: Maybe tomorrow....

Ah well, the joy of motherhood. One giant balancing act. I feel like I don't have the right to say things like, "the joy of motherhood" since I am still very much so a rookie and have no idea what it's like to be a seasoned mom. I, especially, feel like we have this whole parenthood thing very easy considering we have oodles of help.

One of my favorite transitions in all of this, besides watching Tim become a daddy, has been watching my dad become a grandpa. Never before has the earth stood still like it does when Lamaya is in need of anything, even simply being held or burping. Grandpa is eager to jump in and take on the task of spending time with his granddaughter. Work? What work? TV? What TV? Grandpa has Lamaya and that's all that really matters. It's pretty neat.

Well, Lamaya's progress is pretty standard. I swear she is nearly walking and talking. Probably will know her alphabet tomorrow. Okay, I may be getting slightly carried away, but she's mastered drinking a bottle down! And, she is one heck of a head-lifter. She is even attempting to use her leg muscles to stand on me a little. So, it's pretty safe to say she will be a child prodigy. Maybe, MAYBE I might be a little biased.

So, that's all from the new mommy today. More to come for sure. Enjoy the frosty mornings!


AA

3 comments:

  1. sounds like progress...you are doing well...we are all on a learning curve...babies don't come with a manual...Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will get easier with every passing day. We love you both very much.

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a completely NORMAL first 24 days of mommyhood.
    Much love "Gramma Lampi"

    ReplyDelete