Friday, June 8, 2012

Natural Baby! Yeah!

It's Friday and it's pouring, so why not blog a little bit? I'd love to give you all an update on the pregnancy, since there's a strong possibility I won't be posting much (or anything) between now and when littlest Ainley arrives.

I'm just over 34 weeks pregnant now, so you know, feeling akin to a whale with each passing day. Someone posted on my facebook not too long ago that elephants are pregnant for something like two years before giving birth. Two years!? Although I may feel elephant-like, I'm sure glad I am not a literal elephant.

I have entered the glorious phase I'd like to summate as..."Get this baby outta me!" Another friend posted that she is convinced the ninth month of pregnancy is purely to give you all the motivation you need to go into labor. Because nothing could be worse than staying pregnant. Now, being pregnant has been a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the middle months where I sported the baby bump, could sleep soundly for 10+ hours a night, could easily tie my own shoes and could eat anything without the threat of dragon breath escaping my lungs (some might call this heartburn). However, now in the later months I can't help but think now's about a great time to get this show on the road.

Am I ready to handle two baby girls at home? Um, let's stick with a resounding "no." However, I love every minute I have with my babycakes, Lamaya, and I know I'm going to feel the same way about #2 (who shall remain nameless until birth...Mom!)

Last I talked with many of you, I had fairly concrete plans to head to the hospital, get my epidural on and go from there. Well, plans have changed a bit. Tim and I went to the labor and delivery birthing class a few months back and my eyes were opened to the world of natural child birth. Let me preface this by saying that NO, I am not converting to a hippy, NO I did not purchase stock in Birkenstocks, NO I am not going to begin wearing peace-sign attire like it's an extension of my identity, and NO I am not joining the Occupy "movement." I am, however, going to move forward with a water birth at PeaceHealth (SW Hospital).

Tim and I attended the birth class last night and I'm very excited about how the water will create an excellent environment for the birth. I hopped in the bath the other day, desperate for anything to relieve this back pain that can best be described as a cattle prod near the left base of my spine. As I laid there in our midget-sized tub–seriously, I don't think it's right to call it a "tub" when it can't even hardly fit a fairly petite woman! So, perhaps I'll refer to it as a water basin instead–so, like I was saying....I was laying there in our water-basin and, although I couldn't get myself to float, I was able to feel pressure release from the weight of my belly. It was marvelous! That pretty much sealed the deal for me. I mean, why not keep a whale in its natural habitat!? Bring on the water!

If any of you have any questions about water birth, I'd refer you to a midwife. I'm probably not the best person to ask until after I've had the experience. All I know is that I am pumped and ready for it. There are many studies that show the increased benefits of a water birth and water birth, specifically in a hospital, has no additional risks than a "land-birth" does. Land birth, meaning on a bed. Don't take it from me, though, really check it out. I will say I could have done without the informational videos they showed us at the class. Full on nudity put to music was more than I could take. Especially when Pachelbel's Canon in D began to play. I mean, that's the song I walked down the aisle to. Nothing like ruining a perfect memory. Now that song will be clouded with...well, you can imagine.

So, onward with the water birth (all-natural)!

PS - I want to point out that there is no elitism in natural birth vs. not natural. If you want to get an epidural, go right ahead. By my choice in natural child birth, I do not think myself as stronger or tougher than anybody else. Every birth is different and this is the experience I've chosen for mine.Well, anyway, I'm going to keep this short because my baby girl is here and I want to go see her (and Tim too!).

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and let's hope that summer actually remembers what it's supposed to be like. This rain is the pits!

AA

1 comment:

  1. So exciting Ash!! Can't wait to hear how it goes! If we ever have babies, I've always been intrigued by the no-epidural water birth! Sounds relaxing... well as relaxing as labor & birthing can be I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete