Thursday, August 5, 2010

Elyon's Garden - Mini Harvest

Beans! I have beans growing in my garden and they are just a few days away from chow time. Little do they know their days of basking in the sunshine are numbered! I'm so happy I could cry.

I planted a garden for the first time this year. I was inspired to have a garden primarily because, well, I've always wanted one and also because I used to garden with my grandparents, so I suppose you could say it all started 20+ years ago.

When my parents offered their grassy field to serve as my gardening oasis, I jumped at the opportunity.

If you live in the northwest, you know the kind of spring and summer we have had–none at all. So, of all the years to start a garden, this wasn't the best. But, alas, my spirits have stayed high and it's starting to pay off! The beans look fantastic and here's some other veggies/fruits coming down the pike:

Corn, cucumbers, cantaloupe, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, raspberries, broccoli, green onions, pumpkins and tomatoes!

The tomatoes are among the most promising. I opted to use four large Topsy Turvy tree bags to grow the tomatoes and my goodness they are going nuts! I will have tomatoes coming out of my ears in just a few weeks.

Anyway, it has been a labor of love, with plenty of labor to go around, but it has been worth it. I named the garden Elyon's Garden based on the character "Elyon" from Ted Dekker's circle series (Black, Red, White). I HIGHLY recommend them. It's a very special and dear character to me.

So, here's to my beans and a beautiful sunny day on this August 5th day.

5 comments:

  1. Uncle Elden... I almost forgot. I planted chili peppers! Just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I've told you a thousand times before I love your writing...doesn't matter what it's about you have me hooked. If those tomatoes get to be a few too many I'd love to take some off your hands. Your talent my dear friend is your way with words I would love for you to write a book. Think about it !!! You have the power of the pen !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hun, I love this picture of you feeding Tucker. It cracks me up. Your eyes are like a crazy veggie female version of Richard Simmons. "C'mon Tucker, eat that veg! Work it buddy, work it!" Tucker, on the other hand, looks like he might burst into tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tucker looks terrified. Get that killer bean away from him.

    ReplyDelete